Thursday, May 8, 2008

Colorado Half Marathon



So, B and I drove up to Fort Collins saturday and met up with M in Old Town. Its such a cute little college town! We picked up race packets and walked around a bit. M was like "Rio Grande has really good margaritas!" Of course we have not one, but two each with chips and queso :) (By the way, apparently Rio Grande's margaritas are so potent, there is a 3 per person limit.) Fantastic pre-race meal if you ask me.




I have friends that live just east of Fort Collins and they were great and let us stay with them - we cooked a big spaghetti dinner and chit chatted.

B and I woke at 4:30 to get to the bus station to grab the bus that drove us to the start. We arrived at the start point at 6:20 and shivered along with the other 1/2 marathon runners until the start at 7. The course was point-to-point starting in the canyon and then going slightly downhill along the Cache La Poudre river. It really was a great course and well supported with lots of runners! I took it easy the first hour (roughly 9:30 pace) and was feeling pretty good. Realized I could finish in under 2 hours, so I picked up the pace the rest of the race... I finished in 1:59:04 which is about a 9 min pace and I was very happy with that. The Garden runs we suffer through on Tues/Thurs mornings have improved my running. Yay.



We skipped the beer tent (!) post race and opted for a fattie breakfast! Yay for stuffed French Toast!

It really was a great race and we're definitely wanting to do this next year. I like the 1/2 marathon length. I can comfortably complete one without too much training. Next up Bolder Boulder!

2 comments:

elv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elv said...

did you seriously run in long sleeves? do we live in the same country?